Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Mom Is (Almost) Always Right

The older I get, the more "right" my mom becomes. The things she told me as a child and young adult really do have merit.

Take this little gem she used to utter: "Celebrities always die in threes." And, as I grow old enough to pay attention to celebrity passings, I can't help but notice she is right.

As wrong as this is, I admit that after hearing that both Don Knotts and Darrin McGavin had died, I thought to myself "So who'll be the third?" The third, unfortunately, turned out to be Dennis Weaver, an actor I always liked.

The passing of these particular three celebrities has left me feeling sad. However, I think even sadder is the fact that since the rule has proven my mom right once again, what other little motherly "gems" will will come to pass? Will time continue to go by faster and faster with each passing year? Will I really turn into my father's daughter, complete with ear hair and bald spot? More importantly, will God really pull the plug on us all soon?

Quite frankly, I'm a little scared to find out...

No comments: