Friday, February 24, 2006

Benny The Burglar

Do you remember the kid on your block who was basically good, but who could also be easily swayed by his friends to get into mischief? That's Spencer.

Spencer is an easy-going dog who rarely, if ever, causes us any grief - on his own, that is. However, in his efforts to be "one of the gang," he often gets caught up in the hijinks instigated by either Glindy or Benny. Like the time Glindy escaped from the yard, and Spencer, not wanting to be left alone, doggedly followed her, until they were caught and put into doggie jail, where they stewed until I bailed them out. Spencer wants to be good, but he also wants to be part of whatever excitement is going on.

Because of this, I can't even feign surprise when, upon investigating a strange noise I heard downstairs, I came across Benny digging and prying his way into Glindy's service dog backpack while Spencer egged him on gently from the side. While Benny rooted rooting away, trying to get to the buffalo jerky inside, Spencer was by his side, nodding his head and smiling as if to say "Go on Benny! Get us some food! Get us some food!" I watched as Spencer egged Benny on, and then I headed towards both dogs.

Spencer's face fell.

His happy, smiling demeanor fizzled into a "Oh no, the gig is up" face. Still hopeful that Benny would dig out some food before I grabbed the backpack, Spencer's eyes went from me to Benny and me to Benny until I picked up the backpack, and hid it in the closet.

Benny wasn't phased one bit. I could see him sizing up the closet, trying to figure out if there was a way he could break into it to get to the buffalo jerky. On the other hand, Spencer looked as if his world had just fallen apart. "Dammit. I'll never get my chubby little body through the crack in that closet door." Dejected and embarrassed from being caught, Spencer exiled himself to the crate. Meanwhile, as I walked back up the stairs, I could still see Benny staring at the closet door, trying to figure out a way to get in.

No comments: