Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Start Of Something Good

As I may have admitted before, I'm one of the losers who posted a profile to a well-known singles site. I haven't had many dates from the site, but I did make a good group of friends there.

About once a month, we organize a get-together for the local singles on the site. The one we had last month was at Spiros for the Retro Dance Party. Shortly after I arrived, two guys came in. One of them looked at us, and headed for the bar. (Yeah, I'm kind of used to that.) The other looked at us, looked again, and came over and said something, then joined his pal at the bar.

I didn't hear what the guy said, but apparently he said hi to one of the other girls. It turned out it was my favorite Bill Pullman lookalike from the site, and he was there with his dad. We all kind of gave him the once over, and the girls in the crowd concurred that he was a cutie.

After we'd been there for a couple of hours, "Bill" and his dad got up to leave. Bill came over to me, put his arm around me and told me that he enjoyed my blogs, but that he hoped I wouldn't blog about him being too "chicken" to join us (I'm notorious for that, ya see). He added that he didn't realize that we were having a site get-together that night.

When I got home, I logged into the site and sent him an email, telling him I promised I wouldn't blog about him. Then I promptly wrote a blog entry and mentioned him. Oops. I guess I lied.

Well, I joked with him about it, and he emailed me to say he'd like to take me out for a glass of wine some time to thank me for the "hours" of enjoyment he had received from reading my blogs.

He actually went through with the promise this Friday. We met at the Marina for a walk, and then drinks. Before we met, he stressed that he thought I'd be a "good drinking buddy and companion." In other words, "Babe, this is not a date."

That's okay. I didn't mind - I just wanted to get to know "Bill" better.

I don't know if it was the fact that I felt he wasn't interested in me, or what, but I was fairly comfortable with him. We talked. And talked. And talked. We walked around the Marina twice, and still hadn't run out of anything to say.

We went to The Jib for drinks, and our conversation didn't end. Before I knew it, it was almost 7 p.m. He told me he was enjoying my company - would I like to go out to dinner? I wanted to. SO BADLY. But, I had promised Grandpa Sam that I would meet him at the Nugget for dancing, so I had to go home and change.

Bill walked me out to my car, and we chatted for a minute. Then he turned away. I said "Hey! Gimme a hug!" Normally I'm not that forward, but I felt like I could be with him. He came back, hugged me tight, and kissed the side of my head.

Kissed...ME!

Now, granted, it was the side of my head. He could just be a very friendly guy. Or maybe he had started to change his mind about me. Whatever - I don't care. All I know is that I couldn't stop smiling all the way home.

He has since emailed me to say he enjoyed meeting me and we have to have another adventure soon.

Yes. Yes we do.

I don't think I'll stop smiling any time soon. And that's a good feeling - a good feeling, indeed.

No comments: