Saturday, October 28, 2006

Working Girl

So, as my dear readers may have noticed with my last post, I am working.

About a month ago, Office Team posted a position for a Project Assistant. I applied for it through their Monster.com posting. I didn't hear back.

About a week later, I went in to their offices, took all their silly tests, interviewed with one of the recruiters, argued with him about my references, and was assured I would hear from him soon.

I didn't. So, I called again when I noticed Office Team reposted the Project Assistant position. I asked to be submitted for it. I was assured that my resume would be reviewed, and if I qualified, I would be submitted.

I wasn't.

Another week later, I saw the position posted once again. I called about it, and was once again assured I would be submitted for it. However, in the meantime I was "perfect" for a position the mall had open for a Marketing Assistant. The job sounded interesting: if I got the position, I would be writing promotional material for the mall, along with all other sorts of promotional and marketing activities.

I went in for an interview, and was hired on the spot. That is, until I mentioned my December pre-planned vacation. No go. No vacations during the month of November and December. I was then told that I could only have the position if I canceled my vacation. I said no, I wouldn't do that as most of it was paid for already. So, we parted ways.

When I called Office Team to let them know about the interview, I once again asked them about the Project Assistant position, as it had been reposted just that morning. I was once again assured I would be considered.

I wasn't.

However, this week the Office Team recruiter I had originally interviewed with called me. "Pamela, I believe we have a fantastic opportunity for you..." and he went on to present the Project Assistant job to me. He said they had sent two other people to interview, but since the job was a part-time position to begin with (morphing to full-time in a month or two), they weren't interested.

I said "Of course I'm interested. I asked for this several times."

Anyway, I went in for the interview on Wednesday, was offered the job and asked to start on Thursday. And guess what? Next week I start working full time.

So, I'm not clear on what Office Team was doing with this. The other two people may not have been the right fit. I don't know. I do know that I got the job, after asking for a chance to interview for it for almost a full month.

However, in the "life is never quite that simple" department, when I came home from my first day of work, I found out I missed two calls for jobs I REALLY wanted (one in particular, with a company that offers a full benefit package starting with day one of employment). So, now that I'm supposed to work full time, I am not sure when I'll be able to meet with these other people.

I guess I'll figure it out. In the meantime, I'm making decent money working with a woman I really like so far. Even though I don't have any benefits, it's not such a bad gig. Money is money, after all.

No comments: