Monday, May 22, 2006

Netflix Joy

Yes, you read that right: Netflix joy. Sure, they've been screwing with me lately. A lot. Still, I have to hand it to them, they managed to send me two really good movies without much waiting on my part.

The movies? Shopgirl and Last Holiday.

I read Shopgirl a few years ago, and of course developed my own mental image of what the characters should look like. Without going into much detail, let's just say they didn't look at all like Steve Martin or Claire Danes. So, when I first started watching the movie, I had trouble getting into it, because my mental images kept getting in the way.

Thankfully that only lasted about 15 minutes, and soon I was immersed in the story of Mirabelle & Roy & Jeremy. I hear the movie received tepid reviews, however I loved it. I even cried at the end, which means I was emotionally involved. I would give this movie two painted toes up.

Honestly, I didn't know what to expect from Last Holiday. I knew it starred Queen Latifah, but let's face it: while she's been in some great movies, she's also been in some awful ones as well. Still, it looked like a movie I might enjoy, so I put it in my cue. Let's just say, I wasn't disappointed.

Last Holiday is definitely a family movie. There is maybe two instances of cursing, and that's about it. The rest of the story is cute, and it never drags. Queen Latifah brings life to the main character, and LL Cool J is, as always, cool.

Next on my Netflix list: Rumor Has It. I can't hardly wait!

No comments: