Monday, March 05, 2012

The Answer is Yes

As some of you know, I blog on LiveJournal. Unfortunately, due to online harassment from two different cyber stalkers, I had to lock the account down a few years ago. It's now "friends only" and I do still blog there as some of my friends are still there - communicating the not-so-old-fashioned way.

I posted an entry there today, and was prompted by LJ to check out some of their new features. I clicked on the link, and was brought to a modge podge of a page, with information such as who commented on my last blog to gifts for purchase to writing prompts to a poll.

Today's poll question: Have you ever made dinner for your parents? For me, the answer is yes - and then after thinking "yes," I started to cry.

I remember being in my first house, and the excitement that came with cooking them a meal there. I think my mom brought me flowers the first time, and I am sure I made something very simple, but my parents complimented my cooking as if they were eating a meal at a five star restaurant.

I loved having them over for dinner. My mom had a favorite meal that I cooked, so often I made that. She loved it, and it was something she wouldn't cook for herself. Even though I was in my 30's at the time, I felt like a real grown-up having my parents over for dinner in a house I owned and with food I bought and lovingly prepared.

While I still cook for my dad when he visits, it's not the same as when I was living in California, cooking for my parents in my very first home. I still remember feeling so pleased when I heard them drive up in my dad's truck, and smiling when they made the extra effort to use my "front" door. (For those of you who have never lived in a mobile home, visitors tend to go to the side door - which always bothered me, because the side entrance was where I kept the litter pan. I had decorated my front door area and wanted people to come in that way - where it was pretty!)

Even though it's been two years since she died, there are still times when I can't believe my mom is really gone. Thinking about those dinners brought that all up again.

So yes, I have cooked for my parents. And I encourage my friends who still have parents living to cook them a meal soon - because one day, you'll be glad you did when you still had the opportunity to do so.

No comments: