Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My Month, In Dates

Dates... I haven't had this many dates in such a short period ever in my life. And no, I'm not kidding - not even when I was a slender, muscular young thing I didn't get as many bids for my attention as I am receiving now.

Life is good.

Or is it?

Here are my last five dates, plus one:

Date Number One, Mr. Detective Sergeant

His first email to me stated that he liked my profile, and would I like to meet him for a beer or coffee? Normally, I move a little slower than that, but after perusing his profile and reading the rest of the email, my "bad vibes alarm" didn't go off, so I thought, "Why not?"

We emailed a few times after that, and he called me to set up a meeting place. His voice was nice, and he asked me if I knew of a place we could meet at for a drink where he could bring his dog.

Now, a friend of mine thought this was really weird, so I must interject here with the fact that my profile states that I decided my next boyfriend should have a dog. So, this wasn't really odd, in light of what my profile states.

We settled on Wild River Grille, and I met him there the night after our phone call. He looked different than his picture, but not in a bad way. He had what I call a "drunk nose." You know, he had one of those little veiny things going down his nose. However, he was dressed sharp and was very nice - and so was his dog.

As soon as we ordered drinks, he proceeded to tell me that he was dating "A LOT" of women. A lot. Bunches, apparently, and in fact, added that he had just been on a date the night before.

Uh. Okay...

He went on and on about how he just wanted to see what was out there, to get a feel for the types of women available. See, he had a plan: While he is eligible for retirement in three years, he decided to retire in five. By that fifth year, he hopes to either be married or be involved in a committed relationship, so he has someone to spend his retirement with.

I suppose it's nice to have a plan.

He didn't seem too interested in me, and I could see why. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm nice and funny and we were actually having good conversation (well, that is, when he wasn't telling me all about all these other women). But, I could tell from what he said about his money and investments and the fact that he was just kind of dating around right now that he wasn't looking at me as a match. So imagine my surprise when, toward the end of the date, he blurted out, "You're very pretty. You are very pretty."

What could I say but thank you?

He walked me to my car, hugged me and said he'd like to meet again for a beer after "hell week" was over (the week of July 4th is a busy week for Tahoe cops). I said sure, I would really like that.

I got home, emailed him a thank you, and he wrote me back stating he was glad to meet me and he would email me after hell week to make plans for us to grab a beer.

I never heard from him again.

Stay tuned for Date Number Two.

No comments: