Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Date Number Two

Date Number Two: The Leprechaun

When the Leprechaun first contacted me, I have to admit I was intrigued. I had a lot of first contacts in that first week or so back online, but his profile was the first one to really grab me. Sure, he seemed outdoorsy while I am not, but other than that, he seemed like my kind of guy. In other words, he excited me.

He only had one picture on his profile, and in it he looked tall. It was taken outdoors, and he was smiling. You don't know how important that is, until you start getting contacted by these guys who think it's a good idea to post frowny-face pictures. I don't get it. So, it's always refreshing to see a guy with a smile.

Our correspondence was quick and witty and we covered a lot of topics. He told me he thought I made online dating easy - let's meet.

We settled on the West Street Market wine bar, and that excited me. Wine! He definitely knew what I liked.

When I got to the wine bar, he was already there. I saw him before he saw me - and I liked what I saw. He was dressed nicely and yet he looked approachable. As I got closer to the table, he sensed me. He got up and that's when I noticed his height, or rather, lack of it.

Honestly, though, height is not a problem for me. As I am only 5'3", I actually prefer shorter guys to taller ones. It just kind of threw me off a bit. I was expecting tall - and he was short.

We ordered wine and started talking. Or rather, he talked. And talked. And talked. He talked about everything from his lack of a car to his kids to his business. I was surprised, because he had told me he hates talking on the phone - so I guess I kind of expected him to be a quiet guy - which he definitely was not.

We had a good conversation, because unlike some other guys I've dated, he actually let me into the conversation. While we talked, I took notice of his face. It was a nice face - he wasn't handsome, but he was... pleasant. Yet, as I talked to him, I kept thinking he looked familiar...

Then it dawned on me. He looked like a leprechaun. He had the same kind of ears, the same kind of bright eyes, a hint of mischievousness and a sunny disposition.

When it was time for me to leave, he walked me to my car. He hugged me and said he'd really like to see me again - would I be interested in going on a hike that weekend? I told him as much as I would like to, I would be out of town visiting my dad, but would be free to hike the following weekend. He said he'd keep in touch, and I left.

When I got home later that night, I sent him an email and thanked him for the date. I added that I really enjoyed meeting him, and hoped to see him again.

He emailed me back stating he enjoyed meeting me as well, and told me about his day. After a few more back and forth emails, he just stopped writing back.

I have to admit I was disappointed, because leprechaunish or not, I really had hoped for a second date. Guess there's no pot of gold for me over that rainbow.

Stay tuned for Date Number Three...

No comments: