Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Fine Wining

Yesterday, hunky's sister arrived for a 5-and-a-half day visit. I had planned on letting them get together for dinner sans moi so I could finish cleaning, but hunky said those four little words I love to hear: We're going to Sterling's.

And so, just like a rat following the Pied Piper's magical instrument, I followed hunky to Sterling's.

One of the first things we did after sitting down at our table was to order a bottle of wine.

A bottle!

Hunky never springs for a bottle of wine at a restaurant. This must truly have been a special occasion.

Soon, the wine arrived and our waiter carefully poured the deep red nectar into our rather large and cumbersome glasses. I started on mine right away. On an empty stomach. And before I knew it, I was feeling rather tipsy.

Suddenly, everything hunky said was amusing. My focus began to fade... the waiter started looking handsome. When oh when was the food going to get to the table?

I finished one glass of wine before having any food, and the waiter came by just in time to fill me up again. He brought our salads right after, and the leafy greens did nothing to abate my inebrietated state.

Soon, I finished my second glass. Hunky, as designated driver, could not finish his wine, so he pushed it over to me.

Yay! More wine.

I started to gulp his down when all of a sudden I realized I had to go to the bathroom. Not a problem... or was it?

I was in the middle of the booth, with no way to escape. Todd and Diana were deep in conversation, talking about their mother. Crap. Now I was never going to get their attention... they could go on about their mother for days on end, without stopping for even a nap.

Finally, hunky paused slightly and I slapped his knee with my hand. He looked at me and I asked him where the bathroom was. He pointed me in the general direction, and I took my leave.

It took all of my concentration to get to the bathroom. For one, I was about to let it all go right there, bathroom or no bathroom. For another, I was having a bit of trouble finding the bathroom as my focus was a bit... off.

At last I spotted the sign that said "Restrooms" and headed in that direction. I almost took a wrong turn, but righted myself just in time.

I won't go into the details... suffice it to say everything went well, and I managed not to fall in the toilet.

I made my way back to the table, and we left. The rest of the evening was a blur... I know we got Diana back to her hotel. And I know hunky blathered on in the car about dogs. All I really remember is changing into my nightgown and curling up next to Purrscilla in bed. Or was that Spencer?

Who can tell them apart after a few glasses of wine? I mean, they're both gray. And furry. And warm.

Kind of like my tongue. But that's another story...

No comments: