Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Crush

Way back when, I had a major crush on Tony DeFranco of the Defranco Family. How could I not be in love with the singer of "Heartbeat, It's A Lovebeat"? I spent hours singing to his poster and dancing in front of his album. Not that he ever noticed.

The thing is, way back when I was the kind of girl who got crushes, but was never crushed on. So imagine my surprise when 30-some odd years later, an old high school alum started crushing on me.

From a distance.

Without even knowing what I look like. (And just for the record, I'm hot. Okay, maybe not hot, but definitely lukewarm.)

There were a few problems with this: 1) I'm taken. 2) I let him know I'm taken. 3) Just in case I didn't make this clear, I'm taken.

There is also a problem with me. See, I give good email. So, of course the poor guy didn't stand a chance. He was bound to fall for me in a big way. Unfortunately for him, I'm taken.

I'll admit it, though. In the beginning, I found it flattering. And after he saw a picture of me (taken when I was rested and relaxed at a retreat), he really seemed to fall for me. And, again I was flattered, because now I was a little more than just words... I was also a face. And apparently, a face not too shabby to look at.

But see... being as I'm a one-man woman and all, the crush soon became annoying. To me, not to him. He made it clear I was boning-material. I made it clear I wasn't interested. And after a few months of this, it culminated as it only could have: he got possessive of me, and I blew up at him.

See, even though I knew why he got a crush on me (no girlfriend on his arm, no love interest in his future), I found myself impatient with his apparent inability to get a clue. So imagine my delight when he wrote me yesterday to tell me that he met a girl this weekend. A girl he's crazy about. A girl he wants to see more of.

In other words, someone he has a crush on.

Thank God!

My hunkarama said "Aren't you a little sad? I mean, wasn't it nice to know someone had a crush on you?"

No. I'm not sad. Sure, it's nice to be found crushworthy, but being as I'm not the typical woman, I just found it annoying, irritating, and draining.

Fending off advances isn't my idea of a good time. Listening to Tony DeFranco is.

No comments: